$300 off Early Bird Discount - when you give a $800 non-refundable deposit before September 25th.
PayPal your deposit using the button below or contact me for other payment methods.
Help your clients learn the skills that yoga has to offer for health and happiness.
Advanced Level Yoga Teacher Certification
and Module 1 of the Yoga Therapy for Outreach Certification
New Jersey: Fall 2019 - Tuesdays beginning October 8th, 2019
Outcome: After 300 hours of education and a competency review, you will receive a certificate and you will quality to register with the Yoga Alliance as a 500hr RYT. You will also receive a YI Meditation Facilitator Certificate. This training is Module 1 or the Yoga Therapy for Outreach Certificate. Along with the immersion hours, trainees will be expected to do homework and practicums. Module 2 of the Yoga Therapy training will be offered online.
Prerequisite: 200 training and a minimum 100 hours of teaching over one or more year.
Fall 2019 Schedule of training dates and objectives at Underhill in Rockaway, NJ
Tuesdays a month 9-2:30 plus 3 classes with Nancy/month. Description of learning objectives for each month are below the application form. Each Tuesday includes a class, discussion, and practice teaching. Please fill out the Application Form below.
October 2019 – August 2020
Participants should plan to spend a minimum of 27 hours of study/month and 35 hours of Practicum
-18 hours of class time on Tuesday (Three 6 hr Tuesdays/month_
- 4-6 hours of classes with Nancy – Free classes at Nancy’s house or Chair yoga in Denville, Purchasing a class card at Purple Om
- 6-8 hours of home study
9:00 Check in
9:30 -10:45 Class
11-12:30 Session 1
1:30-3:30 Session 2
October-December: Mindful Exercise, Eating Well, Relaxation Techniques, Mental Processing, Dharma, Ethics, Sanskrit Studies, Anatomy of the Joints
January- February: Teaching beginning level students/ chair/mat/ restorative
Meditation Facilitator Training, Teaching Pranayama, Practice Teaching beginning level classes
March: Neuroscience of Yoga, Trauma Sensitive/ Healing-Centered Teaching Methodology
April: Study Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. Yoga History
May: Advanced Level techniques Injury Prevention and Assists
June: Bhagavad Gita and Designing Workshops
August: Teaching Workshops
A full list of written assignments will given at the beginning of the training
· 35 hours of logged teaching, student evaluations and video of a class after class plans are completed
· 15 hours: Business plan for 1 year of growth, including one 2 hour workshop
· Anatomy and Asana for the Joints
· Advanced level at home practice
· How to teach beginning level students (restorative, chair, mat)
· How to work with diverse populations
· Basic Sanskrit Knowledge of pronunciation of asanas, a minimum of 4 sutras and optional: 2-5 chants
· How to teach a trauma-sensitive/healing centered class
· Practice and teach yoga lifestyle
· Practice and teach meditation
· Know how to write a business plan project a one year business increase
· Have general knowledge of yoga philosophy (Ashtanga path, Sanskrit, and Chakras) and be able to incorporate it into your classes
· Plan, advertise and teach a 2 hour workshop
· Be able to safely teach advanced level asana techniques and assists
· Understand the ethics of a yoga professional
Details on Courses:
Anatomy of the Joints (Home study/in-person, weekend training, weekend course)
· Understands the anatomy of the foot/ankle, knee, hip, floor of the pelvis, spine, shoulder girdle
· Know how to strengthen, stretch and relax all the above joints
· Understands Basic Biomenchanics
· Understands the mechanics of Breath
Yoga Impact Manual Studies
· Understands the Five Points of Wellness (exercise, eating well, relaxation, mental processing and dharma) as a platform for yoga lifestyle and how to apply them with clients
· Finish the required assignments and practices in the Five points of Wellness Manual
· Learn to train others to become meditation facilitators
Beginning Level Teacher Practicum: Write five lesson plans for the de-conditioned beginner that include: how to do a 3D breath and strengthen muscles close to the spine for posture.
· Teach at least 35 beginning level classes and record your progress
· 15 hours
· Write up a business plan that moves your business forward, or
· Write –up how you will increase the value of your current programs
· Show progress with your plan
· Include a 2 hour workshop that features your expertise as an advanced level teacher
Yoga Philosophers Studies
· Show that you have a thorough understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the Chakras
· Write a history timeline of yoga philosophy
· Write about 5 gods or goddesses from Hindu Mythology
· Design a home study philosophy study track
· Sanskrit studies
Advanced Level Techniques
· Know what injuries are common to yoga asana practice and how to cue to reduce injury
· Know how to teach yoga asana safely (forward bends, weight bearing inversions, inversions, back bends, twists)
· Know hands-on assists
· Know how to teach restorative yoga and chair yoga
· Teaching workshops
$3800, plus books and yoga props
$300 Early Bird discount ($800 non-refundable deposit by September 5)
PayPal your deposit using the button below or contact me for other payment methods.
2020 Two Week Intensive at Underhill Overview:
Advanced Advanced Yoga Teacher Trainings: Yoga Therapy Foundations and Advanced MethodologyThe Advanced Level Yoga Teacher Training begins with a two week in-person intensive in Rockaway, Practicum work, home study, one-on-one support from Nancy is to be completed upon your return home.
Intensive: Summer 2020
Each week-long training is 6 days - Monday -Saturday, 8 hours
.Location: Rockaway, NJ
These contact hours include -
Week 1: yoga therapy foundations; therapeutic use of yoga for stress, trauma, depression, chronic pain, anxiety, addiction, includes anatomy of joints and foundations for healing centered teaching techniques.
Week two, there will be advanced teaching methodology and philosophy studies; methodology of advanced poses, injury prevention, hands-on alignment techniques, Ayurveda, Patanjali's yoga sutras and Bhagavad- Gita.
Long distance hours required (a detailed description of the program will be emailed to you:
65 hours of logged yoga techniques including pranayama, meditation, asana, chanting, teaching methodology for beginning level students (classes, at home practice, Nancy’s free online classes) We will need to design a way to show that you have increase your teaching skills.
• 100 hours of home study and online classes (Whole Life Practitioner studies and homework in the YII Manual, Business Practicum, pranayama practice, Sanskrit studies)
• 70 hours of Practicums
Intensive Daily Schedule overview (may change according to need)
6:30-7:00 Meditation and Pranayama
9:00-10:30 Breakfast and Break
10:30-13:00 Morning Session
15:00-18:30 Afternoon Session
20:00-21:00 Evening Session (as needed) week 1 anatomy study, week 2 restorative yoga
Advanced Level Training Session topics
1a Biomedical Foundations- Increase your ability to teach asana safely, help clients with injury and give sophisticated cueing for asana. We will learn anatomy of the foot and ankle, knee, hips, pelvic floor, spine, rib cage, shoulders and neck.
1. Reading, bones and muscles
2. Reading Muscles and asana
4. Hips and Pelvis
Evening: review and study
Study Material: Keys to Yoga Anatomy by Ray Long, Recommended Home for home study: Trail Guide to the Body by Andrew Biel
1b: How to make Yoga Asana, Meditation and Pranayama accessible to all – Hone your teaching methodology to include a variety of demographics. This section includes how to teach gentle yoga, chair yoga, wheelchair yoga, and restorative yoga.
1. Corridor of strength, chair yoga, teaching peeps to breath
2. Chair yoga, design a joint freeing series, standing poses in a chair, body scan
3. Restorative yoga
4. Restorative yoga
5. Guided meditations, developing ego strength, metta, yoga nidra scripts
6. Designing restorative classes and teaching
7. Healing-centered cueing
2a Mind/Body Integration, Yoga Philosophy – The study of yoga philosophy gives yoga teachers a time-tested foundation for understanding the mind. In this course we will develop the critical thinking skills to teach yoga techniques to help in the healing process of stress, depression, anxiety and trauma.
1. Gita – guidance for mental health
4. Mental health issues - neuroscience
5. Healing centered yoga methodology
6. Ayurveda for healing
Evening: teach restorative classes
Study Material: Copy of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (Iyengar's translation recommended), Eknath Easwarn's translation of the Bhagavad Gita, Ayurveda: The Science of Self-healing by Dr Lad
2b Advanced Teaching Methodology – Become a teacher’s teacher. Learn effective techniques and queuing to teach advanced poses, to give hands-on alignment and to prevent injury.
1. Injury prevention and standing poses, arm balances
2. Teaching backbends/forward bends and sun salutations
3. Teaching twists and hands-on
4. Inversions and hands-on
5. Teaching advanced classes
6. Teaching advanced classes
Cost includes training, 1 year long post-intensive support. $3,800
Secure your space: $800 deposit (non-refundable)
Please fill out this form and I will contact you about the training.
“I feel lucky, because I had the opportunity to know a great yoga therapist and an inspired teacher, Nancy Candea. I loved her opened mind, I loved her experience, I admire her teaching method and the best of all is that Nancy is near everyone of her student even when the training has end. Meeting her made my dreams of yoga therapy all my thoughts and my fillings became true. Her training was valuable. I now run a yoga therapist studio in Athens, Greece. I recommend Nancy’s training to every one who loves yoga who needs an inspired teacher and wants to give love and yoga therapy to people on the mat, to people on the chair, to people on the bed. Nancy thank you so much.”
— ΠΑΝΑΓΙΩΤΑ ΤΣΙΡΙΓΩΤΗ, Greece.
“I am currently enrolled in Nancy Candea’s Yoga Therapy Training. She has provided her student’s with her own manual on the Five Points of Wellness. She has also provided us with an overview of anatomy and physiology, mental health issues, Ayurveda practices, understanding sanskrit, and mindful meditation. Nancy is a dedicated and experienced practitioner who truly cares about her clients and students.”
— Carol R., New Jersey
**The yoga therapy components of our trainings are based on our C-IAYT credentials, not derived from our status as a RYS with Yoga Alliance Registry.”
Yoga Impact Institute Certified Yoga Therapy for Outreach Program
“I have been a physical therapist for over 20 years and have held board certifications in both orthopedics and the upper extremity. Nancy Candea’s knowledge of anatomy and alignment is impressive. That combined with her extensive knowledge and experience in yoga makes her an absolute gem as a yoga therapist.”
— Carol Anne Paterson, PT, RYT, RMT
The Yoga Therapy for Outreach Certification Program** is given in two modules and offered in North American and Europe.
Module 1: Foundations for Yoga includes all 300 education hours needed to become a 500 hr Yoga Teacher. Module 1 can be designed to fit your schedule. Prerequisite: 200hr Yoga Teacher certificate
Contact hours for Module 1 in Europe Starts July 1 in Cyprus and Oct 4 in New Jersey
Module 2: Yoga Therapy Applications for Injury, Illness and Mental Health prepares you to teach yoga therapy classes and to do private instruction. Prerequisite: Module 1 courses on Yoga Lifestyle, Anatomy and teaching beginning level students.
Module 2 in New Jersey starts October 2019
Module 2 in Europe starts Spring/Summer 2020
500 Level Yoga Teacher Assessments
In order to gain certification of the 500 Level RYT training, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
• The ability to teach yoga modalities on at least two different levels. For example: Intro level and intermediate/advanced level Asana classes, and/or meditation and pranayama or Intermediate level yoga classes and workshops.
• Creation of class plans, workshop outlines, and workshop handouts.
• An understanding of the history of yoga.
• An understanding of the anatomy of the joints and the major systems of the body.
• The ability to teach a safe asana practice based on awareness of anatomy and safe alignment principles.
• Teach classes, workshops and privates that include understanding of the Yamas and Niyamas.
• An understanding of how of work with students who have minor injuries, or with someone in recovery whose doctor has given them a release to exercise.
• An asana practice that maintains integrity of alignment.
• Knowledge of a variety of Pranayama's, and the ability to use them in a daily practice and teach them.
• The ability to lead meditation practices that are based in an understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.
• A basic understanding of yoga philosophy, and familiarity with its classical texts, including the Vedas, the Upanishads, Patañjali’s Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita.
• Respect for the religions and philosophies of all their clients (provided that they are non-violent), and the ability to adapt yoga teaching as needed.
• The necessary social marketing and business skills to pursue desired career goals.
Assessments will include: completion of short written assignments to demonstrate understanding of material presented, written class, private and workshop plans to show understanding of teaching methodology, demonstration of techniques learned during the training, and participate in peer evaluations. Trainees will be expected to participate fully during the training, taking minimal time of for possible health issues, complete all assignments and participate in demonstrations. Trainees will be expected to conduction themselves professionally during the training, observing the Yamas and Niyamas in their daily interactions.